Wednesday, May 16, 2007

15: Web Deuces Wild

I read "Into a New World of Librarianship" and "Away from the Icebergs."
I rather agree with the first one wholeheartedly...except that while I think we should be "trendspotters" it's really more about reading our customer wants and what our customers use and adapting to it. But he's pretty close to the mark.
Controlling "Technolust" is another bit that I enjoyed. You can get behind technology that dies immediately and end up owning an expensive relic.
I also enjoyed the other article... tho' when he writes:
"In fact, it may no longer make sense to “collect” in the traditional sense at all. In my library, we’ve seen a 55 percent drop in circulation rates over the past twelve years, making it harder and harder to justify the continued buildup of a large “just in case” print collection."
I realize he's made a mistake by generalizing his situation. We at Ashburn see no drop whatsoever in our regular print collection. True CD and VHS are dropping in C/O's and one day they'll be gone. But it's going to be awhile before print is replaceable.
They've being saying that sort of thing since the 50's.

No comments: